Monday, November 27, 2006



Novio and I having fun with the most fun of all types of mail—yarn and books!

In the spirit of Vicki's post here, I'm making an official declaration of my good-cause knitting for the next long while. I should have posted this, oh, around the 18th, since I've had this in my head since before then and been acting on since then with the Knit Unto Others knit-a-long, so it's nice to lay it out in words (and pictures).




From Hearts to Hands: a pair of mittens from two balls of Swish Superwash (aka Cushy Superwash Yarn of Joy) in Dublin (yay green!). (December 10.)

Their current progress is rather disappointing considering how far I've gotten on everyone else that's due so much later, but they're my first mittens, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I'm trying this cabled mitten pattern, though you would never know it from this current progress photo.




Caps to the Capital: many many many. (Okay, six.) All done except one needs seaming. (Send by January 2.)




The Red Scarf Project (knit-a-long here): a scarf out of three balls of Swish Superwash in Fired Brick. (Send in January.)

(I also have enough sock yarn for three pairs, and two balls of Shamrock because I loves me some tweed and I could use some fingerless mitts, but they'll wait, because I don't need them nearly as much as the recipients of these projects do.)

Once I finish with these projects, Dulaan and Warm Woolies are on my list.

Knitting for a good cause just makes sense, at least for me; it's easy to feel overwhelmed and impotent in the face of the suffering that goes on in the world every day, but this is a tangible expression of love that will make it to a real person who needs it. I know first-hand how important it is, when your life is tough, to receive help that's genuine, not condescending or resentful. And I love knitting way out of proportion to how much I need or can use knitted things, so it works on multiple selfish levels, really.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home